Due to continuous growth we are looking to recruit an experienced CNC Team Leader with at least 3 years’ experience in a similar role who will lead the operational planning and delivery of CNC machined parts as well provide line management and leadership of the CNC team. The CNC Team Leader is expected to act as the focal point in the CNC section working with the Technical Lead to ensure ease of production, and the selection of the most appropriate tooling, machining strategy etc.
The ideal candidate will be a competent Power mill (or similar) programmer and CNC machinist, able to manufacture (programme, set and operate) 3, 4 and 5 axis machined components. We are looking for a confident individual with a flexible and can do attitude with an excellent eye to detail who appreciates the value in coaching and mentoring of younger and less experienced staff.
Main duties and responsibilities:
1. Ensure effective day to day line management and communications within the CNC team including daily briefings; monitoring work progress; arranging cross training to develop skills; participating in recruitment and selection processes; conduct probationary reviews and appraisals; return to work meetings; etc.
2. Responsible for the delivery of CNC manufactured components in accordance with project schedule - namely:-
a. Schedule all work (including ECS programming, setting and operating) to ensure the rate of production required by the project schedule is achievable.
b. Co-ordinate and make efficient use of CNC team resources including the CNC Technical Leader.
c. Monitor adherence that the project schedule is being met efficiently and effectively, with consideration to project budgets, timescales and component quality requirements.
3. Taking the lead in decision making for operational issues, including programs, machines, etc. to ensure the most effective and efficient manufacturing strategy and machine utilization is adopted.
4. Undertake CNC programming, machine set up and CNC operations to meet time and quality requirements as required.
5. Support bid activities by producing estimates on CNC machining, programming times and optimized workflow, when requested.
6. Contribute to internal/ customer Design Reviews and Manufacture Readiness Reviews as required (including MRR meetings).
7. Regular communication and co-ordination with Project Managers, Production Team, Design team, and other MMC teams to ensure understanding of progress with CNC parts, in particular delivery dates for the completion of CNC operations.
8. Responsible for the overall investigation, validation and promotion of new techniques to continually improve efficiency and quality of CNC manufacture and programming operations – working closely with the Technical Lead.
9. Manage the coaching and supervision of less experienced members of the team or apprentices as required.
10. Observe, improve and monitor CNC team's efficiency.
11. Monitor the serviceability of machines, equipment and tooling, and report potential problems to the MMC Leader. Includes order special tooling to ensure it is available as needed.
12. When the team is on shifts, ensure a smooth handover of the work in progress to the incoming shift and team leader, ensuring that adequate notes and technical advice are available.
13. Observe ARA Quality Standards and Health and Safety procedures.
Essential skills and qualifications
1. Experienced team leader with at least 3 years’ experience, able to actively manage staff issues and lead the team.
2. Competent Power mill (or similar) programmer and CNC machinist, able to manufacture (programme, set and operate) 3, 4 and 5 axis machined components.
3. Fully conversant with controls (Heidenhein preferred but not essential)
4. Experienced in the effective and efficient scheduling of components onto machines, with machining programmes available, to ensure project schedules are adhered to.
5. Understand and have full working knowledge of all CNC machines to support manufacture (troubleshooting)
6. An understanding of other MMC skills such as EDM wiring and plunge, turning, jig boring, grinding and model fitting/assembly is desirable but not essential.
7. Broad knowledge of producing off-line 3-axis milling programmes using Delcam Powermill and Powershape (2018 and 2019) – (training on specific software will be given if required)
8. Complete off-line CNC milling programming using Delcam Powermill and Powershape (training on specific software will be given if required), ensuring:
a. Best use of the machine tool's capabilities is made ensuring material waste is minimized.
b. Monitor that setter/operator can complete the program quickly and up to ARA’s requirements.
c. Raise “program master record” (PMR) sheets.
In addition, the successful candidate must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
• Imaginative and creative with good problem solving skills.
• Competent in making critical decisions promptly.
• Readily adaptable to rapidly changing circumstances.
• Have a collaborative approach to problem solving with ability to influence.
• Confident, self-motivated and approachable.
• Well organised.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established precision manufacturing team operating in a world-class facility. In return, we offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer